Search This Blog

Sunday, July 5, 2009

New House Updates

Oh, the blessing of knowing men with "skills." In this case, tile-laying skills. Thank you, thank you, to Dad and Aaron for all their hard work (and Mom and Matt for helping clean grout lines, grout, keep up a steady supply of clean water and tile, etc. Don't think I sat back and twiddled my thumbs, I helped clean and grout in the back rooms, until I wore out my knees crouching on the floors). Anyway, the bedrooms are nearly all finished, with a little bit of tile left to lay in the master closet, thanks to the hard work of my dad. Yay, Dad!

Aaron came over yesterday to help start the living room. Between the two of them, they laid more than 100 sq ft of tile in one go. Rock on! The smaller, 12" tiles seem to go faster than the 16" we picked for the bedrooms. It looks gorgeous.

Props also to Matt for the idea for the inlaid white/charcaol border in the living room.

This is early in the afternoon, not long after Aaron arrived.

This is much later in the evening, but still before Dad finished the last of the bucket of Mastik/thinset and we decided to call it a night. There is even more tile set than this picture shows. All I can say is, wow. Also, much better than any stinkin' laminate!


Lovely, ain't it? No dog pictures this time. They had to hang out outside to avoid messing up the tile. Thankfully, Mya is blasee about fireworks (the neighbors were having a huge block party, with occasional mortars going up) if her person is relatively near, Emily can't hear them any more, and Cyrus was willing to be convinced that fireworks were no big deal after I sat out and held him in my lap for a while, whilst Emy and Mya wandered around and ignored the loud noises. Good dogs, all!


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I 'removed the post' because I wanted to say more than: "This is so cool! Now I have a blog to 'follow'. I can't wait to get all caught up with your adventures. :)"

    Now I've actually read the entire post, I can say:

    Wow! Your poor knees. I remember working with tile grout during the KH remodels, and even with knee pads, I was *done* by the end of the day. It was a ton of fun for me, though.

    I'm sure real tile will make all the difference. Way better than stinkin' laminate. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the floor! (How many people say that about a house?) It's been a lot of work, but I think it's very much worth it in the end. When we're done with the floor, we can finally move in! yay!

    ReplyDelete